Monday, March 16, 2009

Busy and Exhausted

We had a busy week last week and weekend.  

This past weekend we went to Kansas City for my grandparents 65th wedding anniversary.  We had an early dinner at my Uncle Izzy and Aunt Kay's house to celebrate.  The entire family was together, which hasn't happened in a long time.  It was so nice to be there and be able to celebrate.  I just wish they were going to be around for so much longer.  It isn't fair that Samuel isn't going to be able to really know them.  That makes me sad.  

Okay, so on a happier note, it is beautiful around here.  I think it is going to be 70 today and I can't wait to go on a long walk when Dave gets home from work.  

I was just enjoying being able to relax and now Samuel just woke up from his nap.  He is back to sleeping better at night.  On Friday night, Dave and I decided we weren't going to deal with him in the middle of the night so we let him cry for about 45 minutes.  I ignored the "Ma-Ma" coming from his room and let him cry.  That was the best thing we could have done.  He hasn't woken up now in the middle of the night since Saturday.  It has only been 2 days, but so what.  I have been sleeping straight through the night too.  

Last thought for the day.  This morning on the Today show there was a segment about weather it was just as good to bottle feed your baby as it is to breastfeed your baby.  The problem was that wasn't really what the segment was about at all.  The woman they interviewed wrote an article about why women shouldn't feel guilty if they bottle feed.  Then they proceeded to tell us how she is currently breastfeeding her baby, "because she likes it".  So stupid.  Anyway, it really irritates me when there could be a really good story that would be beneficial to women and they barely get into it.  

Here is my opinion, if anyone really wants to know.  We all know the benefits of breastfeeding not only for the baby, but for the mom, but I don't really think it matters.  I think the most important thing for your baby is that it is getting the proper nutrients whether from your breast or from formula; that your baby is getting bonding time with you; that it is taken care of and loved.  I just wish there wasn't so much pressure on women to breastfeed.  It is hard enough delivering the baby, then there is the added pressure to try to breastfeed, not to mention just trying to take care of the baby on NO sleep.  I know I was lucky because breastfeeding came very easy for me and Samuel, but that doesn't mean it will be easy with the next one.  If it works, it works.  If it doesn't who cares, just give them the bottle with formula and know that your baby is healthy.  

I will have to post pictures from the weekend later.  Samuel is up and ready to play.  


1 comment:

megan said...

Wow, you guys have been busy! I'm glad you had a nice trip and that Samuel is sleeping through the night! Go you with the crying it out! :)