Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Back to being sick

I don't know what the deal is, but Samuel is sick again. Yesterday I picked him up from Mother's Day Out and they said he was great yesterday, but not acting like himself. They said he was really quiet. They said he helped them clean up all day and took a great nap. As soon as I saw him I could tell he wasn't feeling great. When he got home I felt his head and it was really hot. I took out the thermometer and he freaked out. We used to take his temperature rectally (when he was a baby) and he totally remembered. I could also use the same one for under his arm but he wouldn't let me come near him. So I called Dave and told him to pick up an ear thermometer on his way home.

Samuel was a mess. He eyes were glassy and he was so lethargic. He wouldn't walk down the stairs so I had to carry him and Joseph downstairs. Finally when Dave came home we took his temperature and it was 101 something. Later in the evening it was 102.8. Samuel wouldn't eat anything for dinner and actually put his head down on the table which he has never done. When Dave gave him a bath he started shivering. We got him all dressed for bed and he fell asleep in Dave's arms a little before 7 pm. Poor baby.

This morning his fever is down and he is acting better, but he won't get out of his pj's. We have been just hanging out and watching videos all morning. He is drinking juice now and eating goldfish, so I know he is feeling better.

Joseph on the other hand is taking a great nap in his crib right now. I laid him down while I was changing Samuel's diaper and he stayed asleep, so I figured I would leave him there and see how long he lasted. It has been about 30 minutes so far. He is a great sleeper thank goodness. I don't think Samuel took a nap at all until he was 6 months old. Let's hope Joseph's sleeping behavior continues.

I can't wait for Samuel's nap time, so I can actually shower. I am feeling pretty nasty right now.

4 comments:

Charisa said...

I really don't like our ear thermometer. It's never consistent and I'm growing to never trust it. The nurse at our doctor said they are usually inaccurate and that she always subtracts a degree when parents say they used an ear thermometer. Think I'm going to pick up the old type whenever I'm at Walgreens again. Looked for one at Target, but they didn't have any.

Hope you have better luck and that Samuel starts feeling better. Poor guy!

megan said...

Poor Samuel! I hope gets back to normal soon! I'm glad Joseph is napping well and giving you a break. :) Hope you got your shower!

Sarah said...

Charisa, if you find a good thermometer, let me know. Samuel is so freaked out by the one we have. My doctor doesn't like ear thermometers either. I wanted to get those strips that you just put right on their head, but I don't know if they sell those. Let me know.

Thanks Megan, I got my shower. I feel so much better now.

Charisa said...

I'll let you know if I find one I like. My sister-in-law, who runs a day care, has the same thermometer issues. They have all types, even the ones you put on their foreheads, and she can't find one that she likes the best. She tends to use the digital one for under their arms. I guess that's part of my issue with the ear one. If I use it on myself, I can tell if it's in my ear the right way. I can't ever tell on the kids. I have better luck with Vance than Vaughn and I even follow the instructions on how to pull their ear, blah, blah, blah... My parents have the thermal scan one. Maybe I should see how they like that one.