Thursday, November 12, 2009

Not another Monday

It feels like a Monday today and I am not liking it at all. Dave was off work yesterday for Veteran's Day and we were pretty busy all day. By 3 pm we were exhausted and bored. We went for a long walk, since it was pretty nice out and then the evening just dragged on. Lately when I workout, my lower back really starts killing me. The sciatic nerve pain is getting worse at night and it is really bad when I exercise. I figured I will do more on the elliptical machine because it is less pressure on my lower back.

So, I am really torn about whether to get the H1N1 vaccination. I know that my cousin Nicki who is pregnant was worried about this too and she just got hers, but I am just not sure. I have an appointment next week and I put it off last time and I just don't know what to do. My OBGYN originally wasn't suggesting that her patients take it, but I guess she changed her mind. She is recommending it, but not requiring it. She did make everyone in her office get the vaccination and no one has had any side-effects. Anyone else gotten theirs and did they have any side-effects?

Also, I haven't given Samuel his either. I am not against vaccinations, I just don't want to be giving him anything unnecessary. Anyone given their children the vaccination and were there any side-effects? His pediatrician also recommends getting it, but is not requiring it. He said he wasn't even sure if he was going to give it to his kids. I just don't know what to do.

Any opinions would be helpful.

Well, I was able to get this post done while Samuel was eating and now he is done and is pushing the table out of the way so I better go.

5 comments:

Charisa said...

I'm not anti-vaccinations either, but I'm staying away from the H1N1 vaccine.

markandandrea said...

I vote no H1N1 vaccine as well, but I think Mark would disagree. We did all get our seasonal flu shots, though.

Flower Girl said...

my preggo friend here got the h1n1 vaccination, and i don't think she had any side affects. but i don't even get the regular flu shot, so whatevs.

anabelle has gotten 1 out of 2 of the h1n1 vaccines, and she had no problems at all. we are going to be traveling a lot, so i am glad she has at least 1 (if they run out before she can get the second). she is going in for her 2nd regular flu shot this afternoon.

the media is hyping this sh** way more than is really necessary. they've got us all running around like chickens with our heads cut off - ha! i think if you're not traveling a lot you don't need to worry about it too much.

Nicki said...

I completely understand your concerns. I was completely fine with complaining that I couldn't get it anywhere and then.....they called and said they had it. I debated, but from everyone I talked too, including other doctors, they all recommended it. I have had no side effects and do feel better now that I have had both. My opinion is that the pros outweigh the cons....but you have to do what you are comfortable with. Good luck!

Sarah said...

Hey, I know I'm way behind. But if it makes you feel any better, I got mine. I always get the seasonal flu shot from work. And this year I got the nasal mist H1N1--which I know you shouldn't get. And to be honest, I was really worried. But I was fine. And still am. Ok, maybe not. But I don't think the flu shot makes one grouchy. :) (By the way, all the other people in my office were complaining they had headaches and blah, blah, blah. I'm fine.)

Here's my professional opinion:
1. The H1N1 shot is made just like the other flu shots. I wouldn't worry about it as much as I worried about the flu mist. If you get the flu shots.

2. I'll have to say I sure am seeing ALOT of people getting pneumonia after getting the flu. So if you could avoid getting pneumonia while preggo, I'm all for it.

3. The H1N1 is still responding to Tamiflu so that's good as well. Meaning, if you get it within 36 hours of developing symptoms it should help you get over it more quickly.

And 4. When you're in Tulsa for Thanksgiving we need to get together--I know you all will be busy. (And I have to work on Friday, bummer) But sure would like to see you all.

Ok, that's all my knowledge. And since your family and all, take it or leave it. :)