Monday, February 4, 2008

Maternity Leave

On the Today Show this morning they had a story about how few companies have paid maternity leave in the US. I am sure many people know that FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) only applies to people who work in companies with 50 or more employees. For those of us that worked or still work for smaller companies they are not required to give women any type of maternity leave, paid or not paid. It really pisses me off. That was obviously one of the reasons why I quit working when I did. My ex-boss was only going to give me 6 weeks and no pay. Actually at one point she wanted me to purchase my own disability insurance, so I could pay for my own maternity leave when I didn't have a child. I told her know and that I thought she should pay for the disability insurance and then the subject was never brought up again.

What is wrong with our country? How is the world can women function at their highest level, when they just have a baby. There is recovery time and not to mention the lack of sleep. I also think something is seriously wrong when you don't value your employees enough to give them some time off to recover. I completely understand when you own a smaller business you can't necessarily afford to be paying your employees their full salary, let them have time off and receive no benefit, but if you aren't going to pay them, then at least let people have 12 weeks or more then 6 weeks. I have talked to a lot of women and they have indicated that 6 weeks is the norm for maternity leave if the company doesn't fall under FMLA. It is just crazy.

Hopefully one day things will change.

Super Tuesday is tomorrow, hopefully everyone will be voting!

I have decided today I am going to relax and try to finish a couple of books. It is supposed to be 65 degrees today. I guess I should take George for a walk this afternoon.

No comments: