Sunday, March 30, 2008

What a Relief

Thank goodness Dave took half day Thursday and Friday off. It has been a very interesting weekend. Samuel has decided he doesn't like to nap during the day until about 1:30 in the afternoon. So we are up all morning with him. Sometimes it is pleasant and sometimes it isn't. He has been super cranky and crying like crazy. I think he is getting so worn out and tired and he can't calm himself down. We rock him, walk around the room, sing to him, talk to him and lately that hasn't been working. By Saturday I was so worn out I almost couldn't function.

I had a minor meltdown on Saturday. I think I needed a really good cry. I haven't cried since he was born. There really hasn't been a reason to cry. I haven't really felt overwhelmed and things had been going well. I didn't have the baby blues so I feel very lucky. However on Saturday I just could handle it anymore. My one and a half hour naps throughout the night for the last 3 weeks caught up to me. Also, I have a clogged milk duct in my left breast and I want to die. Yesterday it was hurting so badly I couldn't stand it, the pain was so bad. I was really looking forward to being able to exercise this weekend since my rash is finally gone. But then I get this boob issue and I am back to being miserable. For the past 3 weeks, my body has been a mess. The culmination of everything just exploded on Saturday. Last night I laid on the couch and Dave rubbed my head, I fed Samuel around 9 and then I went to bed. Dave woke me up at midnight to feed him and he was out by 12:30. He slept until 3:30, I fed him and he stayed up until about 4:30, he finally went back to bed and slept until 7, I fed him and then he woke up again around 10. It was the most sleep I have gotten since he was born and I feel great today.

Today has been an eventful day. I pumped last night so Dave could try to feed him today. Samuel had his first bottle today! He had a difficult time figuring out how to suck it down because the milk flowed so much quicker out of the bottle, but finally he was successful. He slurped down 3 oz and we thought he might still be hungry, so we tried to give him one more oz. That was toooo much. He threw up every bit of that oz, all over Dave (which was pretty funny). Obviously he only can handle about 3 oz. I pumped while Dave was feeding him and got about 5 oz, so that should be enough for 2 more feedings. I have lots of things to do this week in the evenings and I wanted to have enough milk for the week, so Dave could feed him, if necessary. By the way, I got the Medela Pump In Style and it is wonderful, thank you everyone for all your advice.

Okay, so back to the day. We fed him the bottle and then he got a bath. I think he really likes the bath. When we pour the water over his head, he gets really calm and doesn't scream or anything. After the bath we rocked in the glider and then he went to sleep around 1:45. He has been asleep for an hour now. I was able to bake cookies, cut coupons, check my email and now write on here. It has been a successful hour.

I think he is stirring and will probably get up soon to eat, so I am off.

1 comment:

Charisa said...

Sending you good thoughts! Here's hoping tonight goes well!