Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Doctor's appointment

Samuel and I went to his 2 week pediatrician appointment today. He is now 9 pounds and 1 ounce. He gained over a pound in one week. The doctor asked if I was giving him bottles or just breast feeding and I told him just breast feeding. He was very impressed. I guess I am doing well feeding the little one. Thank goodness. I was really worried about the whole breast feeding thing. There are so many unknowns. I wasn't sure if Samuel would latch on or if I would be able to do it. I am very grateful that it worked.

Dr. Dave said I need to try to stretch out his feedings now to every 3-4 hours instead of 2-3 hours. He said that will help extend his nighttime sleeping. Samuel slept for 3 almost 4 hours last night. I was in heaven. Even though I woke up several times to check on him, it was a very nice sleep.

Right how he is napping. I fed him around 11:30 and I am hoping to make it until 2:30 to feed him again. We will see. My boobs are killing me though. I feel like I need to feed him soon, but I am just going to have to wait. I have to start pumping soon. Dr. Dave said that I have to introduce a bottle soon, because he might now take it. I don't think it will be a problem because Samuel sucks on everything. I will keep you all updated on how the bottle feeding goes. I think it will be a good opportunity for Dave to have quality time with Samuel too and be able to feed him. I guess I am going to look into pumps soon. Anyone have suggestions?!

The hospital gave me a hand pumper, but I am not sure if there is a better one to get. Help!

I know I said I was going to post some pictures, but I haven't really gotten good ones lately. I will try to take a few this afternoon and maybe post one later. I want to get one when his eyes are open.

Lastly, did anyone else get a rash from the fetal and contraction monitors at the hospital? I have a rash all over my stomach and it has spread to my upper legs and hips. I went to my doctor on Monday and he said that he thought I had a reaction to the gel they used for those monitors. I am so itchy. If only I could get rid of this rash, then I can start walking again on the treadmill. I don't want to irritate the rash, so I have avoided exercising. They said I can start exercising since I didn't have a C-Section and the delivery went well. Any suggestions on how to rid of this rash? Hopefully it will go away soon.

I am off to check on the baby.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As far as pumps go. I have had several. As expensive as they are, the Medela Pump In Style is worth it. I have loaned mine to Hope in Phoenix or I would be glad to send it to you. But I do know that one of the moms in the MOMS club here in Edmond is selling one ($100). You can buy all new attachments for it, so it is sanitary. They are wel worth having if you are planning on breastfeeding for a while and want to get out or get some sleep.

Jamie

Charisa said...

I have a Medela Pump also. If you're going to do a lot of pumping, definitely splurge and get a good one. Another alternative is to rent one. Check with the lactation consultant from your hospital, or anywhere for that matter. They have commercial grade pumps that you just buy the tubes and pieces to. Not sure which would work out to best cost wise, but if you're just wanting to see how pumping goes for you and how Samuel does with a bottle, wouldn't hurt to try one first before buying. Glad to hear the feeding is going well!