Monday, June 28, 2010

Survived the weekend

We survived the weekend, barely. Dave took half day on Friday because as I said in my last post the boys were a little sick. Thank goodness he took half day because neither boy napped and Samuel was coughing so hard that I thought he was going to throw up everywhere. I made the appointment for the doctor and we took them in. We ended up closing the doctor's office down. We were there for two VERY long hours.

We saw a nurse practitioner and while she was listening to Samuel's chest he had one of his coughing episodes. After she listened to him she said that she thought his cough sounded like whooping cough. I told her that both boys had been vaccinated for whooping cough, so how could he have gotten it. Supposedly a new strain of whooping cough has developed and it is going rapid in California and they have seen a few cases at our doctor's office and she wasn't sure if Samuel had it or not.

If he in fact has it, then he gave it to Joseph and both Dave and I could get it too because it is super contagious. She wanted the boys tested to see if they have it and she put us all on medication just in case. In order to test for whooping cough the procedure is terrible. They have to shove this really long catheter with a Q-tip looking top WAY down the nasal cavity, basically into their throat. They did Samuel first and Dave had to pin Samuel down and hold his face still so that they could shove it in. Another nurse was holding his legs. It was not quick and I think the nurse doing the procedure didn't like it either because her hands were shaking a little bit too. After Samuel we had to do Joseph. After the first nostril Joseph screamed and then started smiling again immediately, probably because he thought it was all over, then the second side was done and he lost it. It was so hard for both Dave and I. I am just so happy that Dave was there too. We were both so stressed out after they did the test that on the way home we were snippy and irritated with each other, just because we were so worn out.

Even after all that drama, I seriously don't think the boys have whooping cough. I think they have a summer cold, but I know the doctor's want to make sure because it is so contagious. We will find out tomorrow or Wednesday the results. We have all been on meds all weekend. Samuel has gotten significantly better, but Joseph has gotten worse.

Last night was miserable. Joseph was like a newborn baby. He would not sleep at all. He was up most of the night. I could tell his little belly hurt because it was making a ton of noise and he was super cranky and coughing a lot. At midnight I told Dave he should go downstairs and sleep, so I could just keep Joseph in bed with me and hopefully get him to go back to bed. I have no idea when he went to sleep, I know it was sometime after 1:30 and he was up by 5.

I am just so happy that I got Dave an espresso maker for Father's Day because I am enjoying a latte with a double shot of espresso. It is soooo delicious. I am surprisingly not exhausted. I am going to try to take the boys on a long walk today since it isn't going to be too hot and just try to relax.


1 comment:

megan said...

Oh wow, I'm so sorry the boys are so sick!! I hope it's not whopping cough. :( That test sounds awful!!! Hope everyone is feeling better soon!