Saturday, September 10, 2011

Time is flying

I can't believe the week is over.  It went by really quickly.  Samuel had his first week of school.  He survived and I survived.  I was so excited for him to go to school and I would get a break in the afternoons, but the truth is, I missed him.  Having school in the afternoons is really wearing him out.  Over the summer he started to cut out afternoon naps, but he usually just relaxed and played quietly at home.  Now he is super busy in the afternoons, so he comes home starving and exhausted.  Bedtime is at 7:30 now and not much later.  It makes for an earlier night for us, which is nice for Dave and I to have a little bit more time together.

School was a bit of an adjustment for Samuel, more then just being worn out.  The first two days he got put in time out by his teacher because he wouldn't stop talking while she was talking.  When she told him not to talk he would just ignore her.  We had talks all week about not talking while the teacher was talking because he was not learning and he was preventing other students from learning too.  By Friday, he said he didn't talk at all and didn't get in trouble.  His teacher confirmed.  So in one week he made progress.  I remember getting in trouble a lot in pre-school and kindergarten for talking too much.  Samuel was just so excited to see his friends from last year and he barely ever stops talking at home, so I am sure she couldn't get him to be quiet.  Hopefully next week will be even better.

That is if he makes it to school next week.  He woke up this morning with a very swollen red and blood shot eye.  He was complaining that it hurt, but there was no crust or yucky stuff coming out of his eye.  I wasn't sure if he had pink eye or what.  I was worried he had an eye injury or something else was wrong.  I called the doctor and we got him in around 8:30 this morning.  Sure enough he has pink eye.  It looks miserable.  Now both eyes are getting red and gross.  The doctor said it looked really contagious.  I washed all the sheets and blankets and I am trying to keep Joseph away from Samuel, but that isn't working so well.  Hopefully the rest of us don't get it.  We have to put drops in his eyes and he can't go back to school until his eyes clear up.  This is such a pain.  I have never gotten pink eye, so I have no idea what it is like or how long it lasts.  Hopefully not too long.  Unfortunately now we are stuck at home all weekend.  Two weekends stuck at home.  I am going a little stir crazy.

Last update,  I had a doctor's appointment this past Wednesday.  I lost 2 pounds in a week and a half, which they said is no big deal right now because the weather got much cooler and some people at the end of the pregnancy lose weight.  I'm not too unhappy.  I am not doing anything differently except for eating a TON of fruit.  I am craving every fruit possible.  It is the only thing that sounds good lately.  Not a bad thing to crave.  I have gained 29 pounds so far.  For a little while I was worried about gaining as much as I did with Samuel (48 pounds), but now I know that is impossible.  4 more weeks until my due date.

I was hoping that at 37 weeks the doctor would start the natural induction process, but things have changed a little bit.  I am starting to measure a little bit smaller then my actual week.  So when I went in on Wednesday I was 35 and a half weeks and I was measuring about 34 weeks.  For the last few visits I started measuring smaller.  There was a time when I was measuring a week or two bigger, but I guess the baby had a huge growth spurt at that time.  Anyway, they aren't worried because this baby is an absolute wild child.  It doesn't stop moving, it kicks like crazy and the heart rate hasn't changed at all.  I have even had several contractions while at the doctor's office and they listen to the heartbeat throughout the entire contraction and the baby is handling them fine.  My contractions are getting stronger all the time, but nothing is happening.  I have barely dilated at all.  The doctor doesn't want to do anything with this pregnancy.  She wants to just see what happens.  At my next appointment I am going to ask her how long she is going to let me go.  I have ZERO desire to go over my due date, but I guess we will see.

So that is the update with the new baby.

I am trying to enjoy the weekend stuck at home again.  I guess we will be watching lots of movies.

3 comments:

Charisa said...

How is Samuel handling the drops? I found that having them lie down and shut their eyes so that I can squirt the drops into the corner of their eye, making a "pool" is easiest. Then they open their eyes and keep blinking until it's all in there.

Can't wait to meet this little baby! Hopefully it doesn't want to cook too long - anxious to meet him or her!

Sarah said...

Thank you for the advice. He is not handling the drops well at all. He screams and we have to fight him to get the drops in. I tried your technique tonight, but I think he is so freaked out by the drops right now that nothing is going to work. Does it burn when the drops go in? I have no idea because I have never had pink eye before. I am worried Joseph is going to get it and Dave and I. Not excited about that at all.

How long does this last?

megan said...

I've had pink eye several times (even as recently as last year!) and the drops don't burn, I don't think. Charisa's method sounds good. just try to make sure he doesn't touch his eyes and then other people/things - that's how you'll all get it.

Hope this baby comes soon!! I want to meet him/her!! Hope you survived the weekend!