Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Good and Bad

Yesterday Joseph was miserable after his shots. He was cranky all day and screamed if anything touched his legs. Finally around 4 we gave him a little Tylenol and it helped him so much. He actually start smiling and cooing again after the medicine kicked in.

I had a meeting last night, so I left both boys for the first time with Dave. He was super nervous, but he did great. He tried to give Joseph a bottle, but he wouldn't take it. I don't think he as that hungry, hopefully it doesn't mean that he is going to refuse bottles. That would be terrible. He has only had two bottles of milk in his whole life, so he probably doesn't have the hang of sucking from a bottle yet. I was gone for only a couple of hours and it was so nice to get out of the house and not have to drag one of the kids around with me. I felt free!

So we have been putting Joseph in his crib this week and he has been doing great. He is a great sleeper and I feel so lucky. It is such a change from Samuel, who woke up every 2 to 3 hours until he was like a year old. However, I do remember after Samuel got shots he would sleep much better at night. The same thing happened with Joseph.

Now here is the good part: Joseph slept from 8:30 pm to 6:30 am. I can't believe it. It was pretty amazing. My boobs were killing me this morning, but it was so nice to not get out of bed for an entire night.

Here is the bad or concerning part: It freaks me out that Joseph slept for so long after his shots. It is like his body is trying to absorb all the vaccines that were just injected into his body. I know he was cranky and uncomfortable all day and he didn't really nap all day, but it just seems like every time Samuel was injected with a vaccine he slept so much longer at night. Now don't get me wrong, I am a fan of getting vaccinations. I wouldn't go without giving them to my kids, but there is also a reason why I don't want to give 5 vaccines at one time. I think it is way too much. Anyone else feel the same way?

On to Samuel...yesterday he did great at Mother's Day Out. He didn't cry when I dropped him off which hasn't happened in two months and they said he did awesome. They even mentioned that they think he is ready to be potty trained. They said that he told them all day when he peed and pooped and needed his diaper changed. That is really reassuring to me, because last week I tried to keep him in big boy undies as much as possible. We are going to try to do that again for the rest of this week. I need to run to the grocery store this morning, so he will be in a diaper, but when we get home big boy undies it is.

Well, Samuel is up now and I am going to suck down my cup of coffee and go and get him.

2 comments:

Charisa said...

I think the vaccines themselves just take a toll on the body and it's kind of normal that they're worn out and sleep more.

Do what you feel is right. I don't think it's a big deal to space them out - kind of makes sense to me.

Awesome about the sleeping and the potty training!

Anonymous said...

I am in agreement with you that 5 is too many. I would also rather make a quick trip back in to the dr. to get a couple of shots rather than worry they have just been overloaded with vaccines. The most Rowan ever had was what Joseph just had, two shots and the oral for the polio. I don't believe that there is a link to the autism, but that many vaccines at one time makes me nervous too. Just my two cents.

Sounds like a healthy little baby. Also nice to hear that Samuel was good for you yesterday, always a little easier on mom!
-Steph