Wednesday, November 9, 2011

And it just keeps getting better

On Monday I took Samuel and Simone to the doctor.  Samuel wasn't getting any better and I was worried that Simone was getting sick too.  It turns out that Samuel has/had croup.  He has been on Steroids since Monday evening and it has helped tremendously.  He actually slept all night last night with no coughing.  He is on the mend.  Hopefully tomorrow he will go back to school.  I don't want to send him back too early because I know he is just getting better.  If he doesn't have a fever today and if he doesn't cough at night tonight I think I will send him tomorrow.

Simone is just really congested.  Her nose is super running and snotty, but she hasn't gotten any sicker.  The doctor thinks that since I am breastfeeding her she probably won't get any sicker, but I am supposed to keep her away from the boys as much as possible which is difficult because they want to get close to her.  I am doing my best.

On Monday in the middle of the night I heard Joseph cough and it was just one cough but it sounded exactly like Samuel's so I knew what was coming.  He has croup too.  Last night was not great, but I know it will get worse before it gets better.  He woke up at midnight last night and I rocked him for about 20 minutes and he went right back to bed.  Then he woke up around 5 coughing and screaming.  He had a fever of 102.5 and sounds miserable.  Luckily after getting Advil his fever broke within an hour.  He is acting fine, but is sounding horrible.  Tonight I think Dave will be sleeping in the guest bedroom, so he can prepare to sleep with Joseph.  I have a feeling tonight is going to be a sleepless night.

Of course on a night where Joseph wakes up and we have to deal with a sick child, Simone slept from 8:30 pm to 6 am.  She is sleeping great, if only we could be getting sleep as well.

Our house has been a  hand washing pajama party for the last four days, lots of building blocks, fort building, juice drinking, popsicle eating, movie watching, coughing and crying.  I am worn out.  I have barely had any minute to myself.  I am completely worn out.  I have had two breakdowns, which have been great actually. Once I cry myself I feel so much better.  Crying is such a release sometimes.  Dave has had a break from the kids when he goes to work, but then he gets home and it is total kids time.  He is normally holding Simone from the minute he gets home until she starts eating again at night.  She LOVES sleeping on and being held by her Daddy.  Dave and I are both exhausted.  Things can't be easy.  We can't just have a newborn and be exhausted, we have to have two other really sick kids that require a lot of attention and TLC.  Once we get through this it will be smooth sailing.

1 comment:

megan said...

aww, I'm so sorry to hear everyone is sick and you're having breakdowns!!! :( I agree though, crying does make you feel better. You'll get through it and then hopefully nothing will ever be this hard again!! xoxoxo