Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Running on Fumes

The weekend and week has not been ideal. We have been living a life with no sleep for the past 4 days. I think from Saturday night to last night I have gotten approximately 15 hours of sleep total. I prefer to get 7 to 8 hours of sleep a night, but our kids have other plans.

So Friday night Samuel decided he was going to develop a cough and runny nose. He was up all night long having trouble sleeping. He still had a cough and runny nose all weekend, but luckily he went back to sleeping through the night with no problems on Saturday. Yesterday we were driving around in the car during the day and Samuel just started screaming that his ear hurt. He started grabbing his right ear and kept telling me to call the doctor. His exact words "Ear hurt lots, call doctor, doctor look." I love that he is able to talk now and tell me when things are bothering him. It is such a relief to not have to guess. Although this was actually the first time he really told me something was hurting him. I called the doctor and we got in late yesterday afternoon and Samuel in fact had an ear infection. Because his ear hurt so badly he didn't take a nap yesterday, which made for a very long day.

Then to Joseph. Saturday night he started coughing and had a running nose too. Since he can't blow his nose, I was trying to suck out all the snot with those bulb things. Anyway, nothing helped. He was up from 11 pm until 2 am, fell asleep and then woke up at 5, then wouldn't go back to sleep. Dave went out on Saturday night to a baseball game and then stayed out until midnight. That left me dealing with Joseph all night long. So that night I only got 3 hours of sleep. Sunday night it was the same with no sleeping, but at least Dave took over a few times of getting up with Joseph. Last night was a tiny bit better, he slept from 11:45 until 3:30 and then again from 4 to 7. As you can see, we haven't been getting much sleep around here, which makes me a huge BITCH. I don't function well on little sleep.

This is going to be a rough week because not only am I getting no sleep, but when the boys are sick I can't go to the gym. I have found the release of exercise does wonders for my attitude and well being. Oh well, one week off won't kill me. It just might kill the kids!

On a positive note, Samuel loves his big boy bed and has had no problems sleeping in it at night. He has actually been sleeping in the past few days until at least 7:30. Yesterday morning when he woke up, he told me "Mommy, I love my new bed." Makes me so happy.

Well, Samuel is now up and Joseph is now screaming, so I am off to start my very long day.

3 comments:

megan said...

awww, I'm so sorry it's been so rough the past few days!!! It sounds like that little cold turned into way too much. :( I hope the boys both get better asap!!!

Sarah said...

Thanks Megan!

Flower Girl said...

ohhhh man. i think what you need is a babysitter and a long day at the spa. well, you probably could use a couple of weeks at the spa, but maybe realistically you could sneak away for a little mama massage? your birthday is coming up, and gguuuuurrrlll you need it. love the new look on the blog (maybe not so new - i've been offline for so long.)
so good to talk to you the other day. miss you. p.s. little samuel makes his new bed look like it's 2 king sizes put together.