Monday, August 16, 2010

Birthday weekend

We had a very busy birthday weekend. On Friday we left to meet my parents and Jonathan and Laura at Still Waters Resort at Table Rock Lake (about 30 minutes outside of Springfield, MO). I would say that normally the drive wouldn't be so bad, but it was absolutely terrible there and back. Joseph did not cooperate at all. He screamed pretty much the entire way there and back. Although the drive was not the greatest, we had a very nice time. It is hard to say a trip or a vacation at this point is relaxing because the boys require so much attention. Samuel had everybody's attention and kept everyone busy with his extremely busy self. It takes almost 4 to 6 people to keep an eye on him. We went to the pool, paddle boated (my mom and I did and it was quite a workout), fished, Samuel fed the ducks with my parents, Laura, my mom and I went to the outlet mall and I ate sooooo much food. I actually gained a pound. There was so much good food and of course my mom made me my favorite marble cake with chocolate frosting that I ate for every single meal and I yes I mean breakfast too.

The condo was super nice. It was three bedrooms and three bathrooms. There was one master suite that Dave and I stole from my parents because it had a king size bed and it was my birthday! Plus the other rooms had two queen size beds, so I figured that we would give ourselves and break and let Samuel sleep in one of the queen size beds in my parents room and they could deal with him all night and get up with him in the morning. I really didn't think that they would have to deal with him at night because he doesn't wake up usually. However he was so excited about all the things that he was doing with them that he woke up in the middle of the night and my mom said he wouldn't stop talking. He was talking about feeding the ducks, going to the lake, going swimming, thinking it was raining outside. It sounds funny, but I know from experience that when you are exhausted the last thing you want to deal with is a little kid that won't go back to sleep.

Samuel has been awesome with peeing and pooping in the potty. He only had one accident all weekend. I think I am going to bite the bullet and try not to put him in diapers at all except at nap and bed time. He is actually great and is even preferring to pee standing up now. It is actually really cute. I think we are over him pooping in his diaper now. He is actually telling us when he needs to poop and is making it to the bathroom. My goal was to get him completely potty trained before his school started in September and I think we may make it.

Joseph tried banana this weekend. He loved it. So far the boys are completely opposite when it comes to food. Joseph hated sweet potato and loved banana and it was just the opposite with Samuel. I am pretty sure that I see two teeth on the bottom coming in. It is super white and I am pretty sure I can make out two teeth. I really hope they cut through this week because that would give Joseph relief and hopefully get him to sleep better.

Dave and I are going on about 3 weeks of no sleep. Since Samuel and Joseph had their little colds neither one has slept completely through the night. Joseph is still so stuffed up that he wakes up coughing and can't go back to sleep unless we lift him up and calm him down. Lack of sleep makes us very unhappy people.

I have decided on my birthday that I am making a new year resolution. I have decided that I am going to change my attitude about the lack of time I have for myself and the fact that I am absolutely exhausted and that the boys require 97% of my time. Although I get frustrated and annoyed with the fact that the boys are so needy, I really really really should enjoy the fact that they do need me. I know that soon Samuel will not need me to put him to bed at night, that Joseph won't need me to feed him constantly. I know that soon Joseph won't need me to bounce him to sleep and will not require as much cuddle time. I have decided for the sanity of our family that I need to remember that everything is short term and I will be wishing I had this time back when they are older. I really do need to live in the moment. I need to tell myself that everyday.

This birthday has really made me feel old. I remember meeting Dave when I was 20 years old and now I am 32. I can't believe that 12 years have flown by. I know the next 12 years are going to fly by as well and that scares me and that is why my goal is to enjoy every moment as best I can. I know I will still get frustrated and irritated and I will still be a bitch, but at least I will enjoy having those feelings.

Got to go. Joseph is screaming. I will try to post pictures later.

3 comments:

megan said...

happy birthday!! I'm glad you had a nice (yet not quite relaxing) weekend!! I love all of your stories. :)

I think your attitude change sounds wonderful. And you could also add to be grateful that you're able to stay home with the boys, even though it means that you have to devote so much time to them. I have several friends who would love to stay home with their kids but can't do it for whatever reason (usually $). You're totally right - you will want this time back someday! And I love how you said you'll still be a bitch. :) That's why I love you! :)

xoxoxo can't wait to see you in a few weeks!!

Sarah said...

Megan, you are so right. I am very grateful that I am able to stay at home with the boys. At times it gets overwhelming, but I feel extremely thankful that I have the ability to stay at home. I don't thank Dave enough for that.

Can't wait to see you soon. We are going to have a blast!

Mom said...

Time does fly by so quickly, it seems just like yesterday that you were in your terrible twos and now you are a wonderful mother and wife. We really had a wonderful time this weekend and enjoyed spending quality time with the boys. Thanks so much for spending your birthday weekend with us. We love you very much.