Thursday, August 26, 2010

Heavy Heart

My beautiful Bube.




I finally have some downtime and I am writing this post with a very heavy heart.

On Monday, August 23rd at 11:35 am my grandmother, or as I called her Bube, passed away. She fought a very hard battle. Her brain was always sharp, but her body just couldn't make it any longer. I wanted to be there when she passed away, but I know it was better that I came later. We got to view her body on Tuesday. In the Jewish tradition the funeral is normally not more then 24 hours after the death because the bodies are not embalmed. We got to see her before she was put in her coffin. This is a strange thing to say, but I don't think I have seen her look more beautiful. She wasn't wearing any makeup and her skin was clear, a beautiful shade and she had no wrinkles. I didn't really know what I expected, but I am so happy that I saw her for the last time looking as beautiful as she did and so peaceful.

We buried her yesterday at almost 2:30 pm. I think the saddest part was seeing my Zayde having to deal with the death of his wife. My grandparents had a wonderful and amazing love story. They met when my grandmother was 15 almost 16 years old. They were separated for 4 years during the Holocaust but continued to stay in contact. My grandfather escaped from a labor camp to meet up with my grandmother's family at another camp, where he knew she would be. 9 days after they reunited they were married. They were together for almost 70 years. My mom told me that at the end when Bube was strapped to a heart monitor and she wasn't really breathing, when my grandfather walked in the room her heart rate went up. I just think that is the most beautiful story of all. After all those years, he still made her heart beat faster. If that isn't true love, I don't know what is.

I wish I could write down all my memories, but then this post would last forever. She did coin some phrases that I will never forget, like "grandchildren are like the interest on the principle (children)." She loved her children, grandchildren and great grandchildren so much.

This has been quite a year for our family. I started off the year with three living grandparents and now I only have one left. Not only that, but my sister in law lost her mother as well. It has been very sad, but I have to try to remember that things happen for a reason.

I feel very lucky that I had and still have a close relationship with all my grandparents. I will always hold my special bond with them close to my heart. That is why it is so important to me for my kids to have a close relationship with their grandparents. I wouldn't want them to miss out on the experience that I had that will stay with me forever.

Rest in peace, Bube. I love you and miss you.


6 comments:

markandandrea said...

Oh Sarah. I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm glad you didn't rush out there with the kids on Monday, but had time to collect yourself and be there for the funeral. Your grandmother sounds like an amazing woman who had a very loving husband and family.

I hope you're able to spend more time with your family this week. Rest up and take things slowly.

Charisa said...

Again, I'm so sorry to hear.

What a beautiful story about Bube. Thanks so much for sharing that!

I agree with Andrea - take it slow this week and enjoy your family and this amazing weather.

megan said...

Oh, Sarah, your post made me cry. I know how much you loved your grandmother, and I'm so sorry for your loss. It's so wonderful she got to meet Samuel and Joseph though. I love all of your stories about her. Wishing you and your whole family much love and peace through all of this. xoxo

Charity said...

I am so sorry to hear about Bube. What an awesome love story Sarah-it brought a tear to my eye.

PAula said...

What sweet pictures of you and your grandparents. She was cute as a button and had a beautiful life story! I hope that you all are doing OK under the circumstances. I have been thinking about you all this week with a heavy heart.

Hugs,

Paula

Flower Girl said...

Sarah!! your post really yanked at my heart strings. thanks for sharing - what an amazing story your grandparents have. wow, don't we all wish for such a full life and wonderful family. you'll always always, always remember and think of her throughout your own life - i still miss and think about my grandma often. what a nice way to celebrate her memory...
xoxo