Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Trip From Hell

This past weekend I was hoping to relax, get lots of rest and work on photo albums of the kids.  My trip to Tulsa was far from relaxing.  I had a great time seeing my parents and friends, but I was beyond exhausted.  My parents kept Samuel super busy everyday, which was good because Joseph required a lot of attention especially at night, which wore me out during the day.  Anyway here is a recap of our trip:

Starting with the plane ride on Thursday night...Joseph is by far the worst traveller.  The last time I flew with him was in August, so I thought being 6 months older he would be better.  He was by far the worst kid on the entire flight.  He screamed the whole time, wouldn't drink anything and wouldn't sit still.  Then the coughing started and he sounds horrible.  There was a mom and grandmother in front of me with a little baby (probably only 6 months old) and they kept looking at me through the seats and giving me nasty looks.  If Samuel weren't with me, I would have flipped them off an told them to mind their own business.  I am just thinking one of these days that mom's kid will be terrible and she will realize what a Bitch she was.  Samuel was perfect on the flight.  He drank his milk during take off, played games on my cell phone and just relaxed.  He was awesome thank goodness.  Now looking back on that evening, I know many reasons why Joseph was so terrible.  It was way past his bedtime, he was super constipated and he was getting the monster of all sicknesses (for him) and an ear infection.  I guess anyone would be that cranky.

By the time we got to Tulsa and got ready for bed it was 10:30pm and I was exhausted.  The boys however didn't care about the late bedtime, they still woke up at 5 am and 7 am.

On Friday morning, I was feeding the boys breakfast and I was eating a grapefruit.  I gave a bite to Joseph and he loved it.  I gave him another bite and he looked at me, started coughing and then projectile vomited all over the place.  Now, he has throw up before when he didn't like what I fed him, so I just thought he hated the grapefruit and instead of just spitting it out he threw it up.  I didn't think it was anymore then that.

We went to my mom's work for lunch because they were having a pizza lunch and we needed to get out of the house.  Joseph ate at least one piece of pizza maybe more.  He had a great appetite and was drinking pretty well too.  He still had a little bit of a cough, but it wasn't super bad.  We headed home after lunch so I could put the boys to bed.  I put Samuel in bed and was getting Joseph ready.  I was feeding him in the room and then all of the sudden he started coughing uncontrollably.  I lifted him up to pat his back and he threw up all over me, him, the bed the floor.  It was everywhere.  I know I have said before, I am not a fan of throw up.  So I started freaking out.  I got us undressed and jumped in the bath. I finally got us all cleaned up.  I called our pediatrician in St. Louis and they told me to take him to an Urgent Care to make sure that he didn't have the flu or RSV.

I called my parents and they came straight home.  Joseph took a little nap and then my dad and I headed to Urgent Care.  As we were in the waiting room, Joseph was eating some Cheerios and drinking some juice.  Then all of the sudden he started coughing again and puked everywhere.  I caught most of it in my hand which was so disgusting, but I was glad we were at the doctor.  They checked him out and he didn't have RSV or the flu, but he did have an ear infection and they gave him some steroids to help with the cough.

The medicine didn't help at all.  Joseph coughed all night long every night.  He was up most of the night.  Samuel is back to having some nightmares, so he was up most nights too.  On Saturday night, Samuel decided he couldn't sleep in his bed because he wanted me.  So he ended up sleeping with me Saturday night, which means he literally slept on top of me.

After Sunday night I was really worried about Joseph because I didn't think he was getting better at all.  I felt like he was getting worse and I was beyond sleep deprived.  I was worried about the plane ride home, but both boys did awesome. Samuel actually got to sit in the cockpit for a little while.  He was so excited and I got a couple of really good pictures.   I put Joseph in his own seat with his seat belt on and he ate cereal and drank his drinks and didn't cry at all.  Samuel of course was perfect.  The only bad part of the flight is that we hit two really bad spots and the plane dropped twice.  I have never been on a flight where the plane dropped so much.  I knew it was bad when all the business men around me looked totally freaked out and were holding on to their seats.  The guys behind me asked if the boys were okay because they were freaked out themselves.  It was quite an adventure.



I have never seen our doctor more concerned about one of our kids before.  Joseph's one ear infection turned into a terrible double ear infection (the medicine we got in Tulsa did nothing to help his ears).  His cough was worse because now he was wheezing.  Our doctor gave him a breathing treatment and we had to get a chest X-Ray too.  He didn't see anything on the X-ray that showed that he had bronchitics or pneumonia, but he definitely has something bad.  We got new medication for his ears and a medication for his pooping issues and we are just trying to keep him comfortable with Tylenol and Ibuprofen.

Last night thankfully, Joseph slept from 5:45 pm to 5 am straight.  He is much happier today.  He is still wheezing and coughing, but it is better.  Samuel woke up once in the middle of the night but went right back to bed.  I am still really tired, but a full night sleep really helped.    

Dave did so much work around the house while I was gone, so it was really nice to come home to a completely clean house.  He changed all the door knobs and hinges.  We are trying to do little upgrades before we get ready to move.  I think we will definitely be in our new house by the end of March.  I am soooo excited and ready.

Today I am going to unpack, relax and hopefully get some of the things done I wanted to do over the weekend.

2 comments:

megan said...

oh, you poor thing!!! All of that sounds so awful! (well, except for the part where Dave was super productive while you were gone - that sounds awesome!!) I hope everyone is getting better and you can get lots of sleep!!

Paula said...

So nice to see you and the boys on Sunday. You are certainly a master at hiding your exhaustion!! The boys are so cute and I loved and felt special getting a Joseph snuggle!

I asked Max who his friend was and he said "Samwell" and he told his dad he had fun playing. Glad the trip home went smoothly for you.

Looking forward to seeing you all again in June.