Friday, January 20, 2012

Sick House

Our house has been full of sick people for at least two weeks now.  I don't think I have had a cold like this in a really long time.  I still have a runny nose and a little bit of a sore throat, but I feel a hundred times better then last week.  Simone has been sick this week too.  She has a runny nose and a cough.  It has changed her sleeping a little bit.  She is waking up around 4 every morning, instead of her normal 6 am, but she eats and goes right back to sleep. I can't complain when I have such an easy baby.

As I mentioned in a few previous posts, I have really been making an effort to cook meals at home since the beginning of the new year.  I am constantly searching for new and easy recipes.  There still aren't many things that the boys will eat, so it makes dinner time pretty difficult.  Another new years resolution of mine is to not be a short order cook.  I want to get to the point where I only make one meal for dinner and everyone eats it.  Wouldn't that be nice! I would say we are about halfway there.  I always give the boys steamed vegetables or a vegetable option for dinner and they have to eat at least one bite.  Samuel is pretty good at eating his veggies every night, but Joseph is terrible.  He refuses to even take a bite most nights.  Then he will throw in a random night where he will inhale the veggie.  That is why I give it to them every night with hopes that they will eat the veggies more often.

My kids also really are not fans of meat.  They will eat a hamburger every once in a while, but mostly they won't even touch the meat.  I am slowly trying to come up with more and more vegetarian dishes.  They seems to eat those best.  Anyone have good ideas for food for kids?  My kids are not normal.  They will not eat macaroni and cheese, cheese quesadillas, grilled cheese, chicken fingers...you know all the normal kid staples.  They love bean and cheese tacos or burritos, veggie corn dogs, some pasta and rice.  Please help!

The good part about me cooking at home is that it is helping me lose some more of this baby weight.  I have lost 6 pounds since the beginning of the year.  I would still like to lose a lot more, but I am sure it will come off soon.  Now that I am finally feeling better, I have got to get back into exercising.  I have two half marathons scheduled this year.  One in April and one in October.  I would like to attempt to run some of the one in April and most of the one in October.

Lots to do and so little time.

4 comments:

Paula said...

Hi Sarah,

From experience, getting them to eat those veggies is difficult, but eventually all then all of the sudden they want threee servings of salad. Max who turned three in December, gags on cut broccoli but will eat the entire bag of florets. We all have the same meal, no special kid meals around here. If they eat great! if not, if they are hungry later, they can have fruit.
My motto is "This isn't Luby's" They don't even know what Luby's is, but they get the point.

I can't wait to see little Simone. She sounds just wonderful!

Charisa said...

Have you ever tried Trader Joe's frozen brown rice? (There's 2 different types - one is organic and one is not. I've tried both and the organic doesn't cook as nicely.) It's a staple around here because the kids eat it and it's fast. The rice is frozen and it cooks in the microwave (I know it sounds terrible, but it's surprisingly not). I dump the rice in a glass bowl, dump half a bag of frozen broccoli on top, cover it and microwave it for about 6 minutes. Tamari on top and it's done.

I think we all suffer through meal times. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Well I'm a bad mom, they get what I make. Period. If they don't eat I cover it with saranwrap and heat up later. And if they really dig in their heals, I re serve it for breakfast. Yes, I have done that. I make a protein, veggie/fruit and starch. Balanced meal. Don't get me wrong they get mac and cheese, they love top ramen and hot dogs, but if i cook a family meal, they must eat it. No short order cook here or I dont like it, not an option. Last night, Isabel ate shushi...and loved it. They have been introduced to chinese, viet, thai, mexican, italian, gyros, indian you name the quisene, they get it. I want them to get that they are lucky to have food. Some families cannot even put food on the table or some kids only get breakfast and hot school lunches for free because their parents cannot afford the store and get food from the food pantry. I started very young, this is what I am serving, its healty and your eating it. Cracks me up to watch Abby do the gagging bit, but I just make her wash it down with water. Not like im serving them liver... But there are days when i put tomatoes in a dish and it is all out war on gettting it down...

Sarah said...

Thank you guys for your advice.
Amie, you are one tough Momma! But I like it.

The other night I made a chicken and cauliflower bake with cheese and to tell you the truth I didn't think it was very good, but the boys took one look at it and freaked out. They were begging for something else, but we made them try a bite. It took two hours of screaming and crying for Samuel to take ONE bite. Joseph continued to refuse. We weren't sure if Joseph was too young for us to really put our foot down, but we are so sick of them refusing food.

It is so hard for me to even come up with meals every night. This is such a challenge. We will continue to work on it.

I really appreciate your comments and suggestions.