Friday, May 11, 2012

The weeks have flown by

I can't believe that I last posted 10 days ago.  I have been in a strange funk lately.  Although the weather has been beautiful and we have been spending a lot of time outside, I have just been feeling very little motivation to do anything.  I am exhausted.  I was so stressed about Joseph's surgery and I was really hoping that no one would get sick before his surgery (because if he got sick we would have had to cancel it).  Anyway, everyone was healthy until the surgery and then Simone started to get sick (just a little cold) last Friday.  Then the last three nights she has slept terribly.  You know when she doesn't sleep well that means Dave and I don't sleep well.  Tuesday and Wednesday night I got only a few hours of sleep.  Last night was a little better, but I am exhausted.  I am so ready for the weekend.

Simone is now 7 months old.  She is still such an easy baby.  Other then when she is sick, she sleeps awesomely at least at night.  She has random days where she takes great naps, but most of the time they are pretty short.  It doesn't bother me that much since she sleeps so well at night.  She is so happy and laid back.  She is rolling around like a crazy lady and is beginning to military crawl a little bit.  She sits up great and is eating like a champ.  Still no teeth.  Hopefully soon because she is drooling and chewing on her hands like crazy.

Joseph surgery went well.  His two scars look great so far.  We took his dressings off on Tuesday.  The one on his bottom was cemented to him.  Dave was able to rip it off super fast in the bathtub, but it took a few layers of skin with it.  It is still pretty raw, but the actual incision looks pretty good.  I was so worried about the actual surgery.  I know I have mentioned it before, but Joseph hates doctors, doctor's offices, hospitals, etc.  I knew that he would be freaked out and not like this whole experience.  I had talked to his pediatrician and the surgeon about my worries of him no taking the relaxation medicine or issues with his IV.  They told me not to worry because the nurses and doctors deal with kids all the time and he would be fine.  We had the surgery at St. John's surgery center.  They really were wonderful.  They knew what to expect with the children, they were understanding and very easy to deal with.  They have tons of kids that have surgeries at that center and they are prepared.  They had little blue and pink wagons that they used to wheel the kids into the operating room and tiny little kid beds.  

After we got to the room and relaxed for a little bit, a nurse came in with the medicine that was supposed to relax him and hopefully get him super drowsy.  It was basically Valium for kids and a mind eraser quality so they wouldn't really remember the experience.  Dave and I tried to get him to take the medicine and he spit it out all over them place.  He probably got about a fourth of what they wanted him to take.  After they observed how freaked out his was, they knew he was going to be a difficult one.  They put down on his chart that he had anxiety.  Anyway, even though he got a fourth of the meds it did really calm him down.  I can't imagine what he would have been like if he took all of it.  

We were able to get him in his gown and nice and comfy.  The anesthesiologist came in to take him to the ER.  They put him in the wagon, covered him up in a warm blanket and wheeled him away.  It was one of the scariest moments, seeing your child go off for surgery and you can't be there with him.  Surprisingly I didn't cry, but I was completely stressed.  

When they called me back to recovery, I knew he was going to be a mess.  When I got close I could hear him screaming and yelling.  They said he woke up and he was really out of sorts.  The nurses said it isn't uncommon for kids to be agitated and mad when they wake up, but he was really out of control. They said when he woke up he immediately tried to rip out his IV (which I had a feeling her would do).  After only a minute, they got confirmation from the doctor that they could just remove the IV.  He could not really control himself and he kept calling for "Daddy".  They normally only let one parent in the back, but they ran and got Dave.  Dave was able to calm him down a little bit, but they finally offered him a popsicle and that was did the trick.  He went back in forth for a while wanting me and then Dave.  Soon we went back to the room and he finished his popsicle, ate some teddy grahams, drank some juice and then they checked us out and we went home.  

It was actually pretty short process.  We were in and out in about four hours.  Thank goodness it is over.  So glad to have one stressful part of parenting over, now on to many more.

Pictures!!!

A cute picture of the boys.  


Simone's 7 month pictures:



I love her hand on her hip.  I'm sure we are going to be seeing that a lot more in the future.

I just love this picture of the two of them.  They look so different.  Simon's eyes could not get any dark and Samuel's eyes are just so blue.  I love it!



2 comments:

megan said...

Oh my gosh, I am so glad the surgery went ok!! I have been wondering!! I can only imagine how stressful that must have been!! I remember my mom talking about how awful my first surgery was, just waiting for 6 hours. So glad to hear it's over and went well! Hopefully the bandage ripping wasn't too bad - oy!

LOVE all the pics too!!! They're such cuties!! Happy Mother's Day!! xoxo

Jen said...

Sarah it looks like you have had a crazy couple of months! Your children are lovely and I know you are a fantastic mommy, even when you are so exhausted! Simone is so delicious and I cannot believe how big Sam is! I hope you are doing well and that the summer is nice and relaxing for you. Happy Mothers Day!

Jenna