Wednesday, February 22, 2012

It got worse

So from my last post until today the days have been a blur.  Here's a quick update.

Samuel got better by Wednesday night and still has a little cough, but overall is fine.

Joseph continued to have a terrible cough, very high fever and was absolutely miserable from Wednesday until yesterday afternoon.  I had to sleep with him (I think because I can't really remember) Wednesday and Thursday night, maybe even Friday night.  Like I said the days and nights kind of ran together.

By Saturday, Simone woke up and she had green junk coming out of her right eye and it drained all day long.  By mid-morning she started to get a low grade fever.  At 5 pm her fever was 100.3, so we called the exchange number for our doctor.  They didn't call back until 5:45, but by that time her fever was 101.7.  We were freaking out because it was so high.  She was absolutely miserable.  They told us to take her to the ER.  I packed everything up and spent the evening until 9:30 at the ER with her.  They tested her for the flu, took her temperature, listened to her chest.  The diagnosis was pink eye and an upper respiratory infection.  By the time we were about to leave, her fever was 102.8.  They gave her Tylenol and sent us home.  She was a mess all night.  Her fever spiked at one point to 103.9, which stressed me completely out.  We just kept giving her medicine and keeping her comfortable.

I slept with her Saturday and Sunday night on the couch.  By Monday morning, both Simone and Joseph were a mess so we took them to the doctor.  Turns out that they both had ear infections and the doctor said he was a little concerned that Joseph may have pneumonia.  We got medicine for the ear infections and we needed to watch Joseph and if he didn't get any better we would have to take him back in.

After the meds, Joseph started to sleep at night.  He still had a nasty cough until yesterday.  Today he has barely coughed and I know his ear feels better.  Joseph will not take the medicine.  He throws a huge fit and spits it out everywhere.  So we have now started slipping it into his morning juice.  He has no idea, drinks it right up and we don't have to fight with him.

Now for Simone.  Yesterday was the first day we could put her down without her screaming.  We literally held her from Saturday morning until Monday night non-stop.  Dave and I switched off holding her and we were exhausted.  I know her ear feels better because she is now taking naps and sleeping for a good period of time at night.  She nursed so much Saturday through Monday because she felt so terrible and now my boobs have quadrupled in size.  She is now coughing a lot and seems almost more miserable because it looks like her coughing hurts.  She still has a low grade fever, but nothing like Saturday and Sunday.

You don't want to come near our house.  We need to air it out and bleach everything.  Hopefully we will get no more sickness in this house.  We are staying away from anyone sick.  If you cough or sneeze we are high tailing it away.  It is pretty clear that my kids are prone to chest colds, which turn into ear infections.  It is crazy because I have never had an ear infection and Dave doesn't think he has had one either.  I know I can't control what they might pick up at school, but I am hoping we can avoid any more illnesses.

On a positive note.  Samuel is really curious about all of our names.  He knows all of our full names.  The other day I was sitting on the couch with Joseph and Samuel was asking me how to do something.  I was right in the middle of saying something to Dave, so I ignored him.  He was so frustrated and he said "Mommy Emerson Glasser, look at me."  It was hilarious.  The funniest part is that I have never ever gotten mad at him or tried to get his attention by saying "Samuel Emerson Glasser".  I don't know where he got that from.  He must have seen it on TV or something.

I am hoping for health, sleep and relaxation.

1 comment:

megan said...

hope everyone is feeling 100% soon!!!! Your poor family!