Sunday, December 19, 2010

Fun Times

Things have been quite busy and sleepless around here lately.  Joseph woke up in the middle of the night on Thursday night with a 105 degree fever.  He was miserable and we gave him some Tylenol and he seemed to get a little bit better.  By the afternoon on Friday he still had a fever and I took his temperature in both ears and one was much hotter then the other, so I was afraid he had an ear infection and I didn't want to miss an opportunity to see the doctor.  So I called and got him in on Friday afternoon.  Thank goodness.  Joseph who is normally my pretty healthy baby and has never had an ear infection had a double monster ear infection.  Thank goodness we got in when we did.  We would have really suffered all weekend and probably would have ended up in the ER at some point.  

He got some meds and has been taking them since Friday early evening, but he has been miserable all weekend.  His fever has only broken three times this whole weekend.  The lowest it went was 99.9 and the highest was again 105.  I think we called the doctor's office at least three times making sure we shouldn't take him to the ER.  He hasn't been eating much, but he has been breastfeeding non-stop.  He has been up every night since Thursday night in serious pain.  He just wants to cuddle with me and breastfeeds for at least 1-4 hours straight.  I think this is his way of soothing himself too.  He has taken two naps today which is good because he needs his rest.  If only we can get him to sleep at night.  Dave and I are exhausted.  Joseph has barely been sick.  He normally gets a runny nose and little cough or runs a fever right before a tooth is about to break through, so this really freaked me out.  

It is hard to tell with both Samuel and Joseph when they are really sick because they are both so happy when this are sick.  I guess that should be my clue.  They smile and play, but they are just calmer.  I am so glad that I took Joseph in.  Hopefully he will feel better soon.

Now for my other baby Samuel.  I think I am falling in love with him again.  I know some of you out there probably think that I am a terrible mother when I say that I always love my kids, but sometimes I just don't like them or shall I say I don't like their behavior.  So I know I mentioned in older posts that I had a really hard time with Samuel when he was a baby and I didn't feel like we truly bonded and I didn't feel like I fell in love with him completely until he was about 6 months old.  Then from 6 months to about 2 years old my love for him just grew and grew.  Then right about when Joseph was born Samuel decided to turn into a complete terror.  He was testing his limits, throwing fits, biting, spitting and the list goes on.  He is not a bad kid at all, but he is so strong headed and independent and so self assured.  This trying behavior wasn't continuous; one minute he was absolutely wonderful and the next or at completely random inappropriate times his Mr. Hyde personality would come out.  I never thought that we would come out of that period of time alive.  I guess some people call it the terrible two's, but I can't really describe how terrible it really was.  I can thank Samuel for really teaching me patience, understanding and unconditional love.  

In the past few weeks, Samuel has really matured.  I can't describe how much I love him.  He is entertaining, smart, enjoyable (most of the time) and most of all loving.  He sings to music on the radio, he dances, he tells jokes, he is super witty, he makes me laugh all the time, he give us all kisses and tells us that he loves us all the time.  He still throws his tantrums, but most of the time they are manageable.  I can see him growing up before my eyes and I can't help but feel a little sad.  He is growing up so fast, the time is flying.  When I am starting to emerge from the tornado created by my two year old, I can look back and know that both Samuel and I have grown.  I have learned so much about being a parent and I know he is shaping himself into who he is going to be.  I know that I made it through this period with Samuel and I will be able to prepare myself for when Joseph's time comes.  

Being a parent isn't easy at all, but the benefits and love you receive in return is priceless.  

Here are some pictures:


Samuel isn't really biting Joseph.  He was actually giving him a kiss and Joseph was laughing, but when I looked back at the picture it looked like Samuel was really biting Joseph and the look is pretty funny.  Boys will be boys.

Savta and the boys celebrating Hanukkah late.

Samuel got a new bike from Savta and Papa.  He is still a little small, but hopefully when we move into our new house it will be perfect.

Here he is trying it out.

Joseph got in on some opening presents action too.  

Papa and Joseph.  So cute.

Me, Mom and Joseph

The boys weren't too excited about Papa leaving.

4 comments:

markandandrea said...

Poor Joseph!!!! That sounds like such an awful and painful experience for him. I hope he's feeling better soon (for everyone's sake).

My favorite photo is of the boys looking at your dad outside. Hilarious. I think that would win a photo contest somewhere.

Charisa said...

Hope he's finally feeling better today!

megan said...

Love the photos!!! And your post about how much you love Samuel. :)

I hope little Jo Jo is feeling better!!! Poor little kid - it sounded awful.

How did your haircut turn out?

Flower Girl said...

oh my gosh sarah, i have been away from bloggy land for so long. but i just read this post and i love it so much. i love your honesty and i completely agree with all of it...
and on the sickness front - yucko. so scary! glad he's better. i hope you watched some good movies or read some good books while joseph nursed for all that time. ha
i miss you!!!